Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veteran Affairs - Returning Veteran Checklist
Welcome Home Checklist

Please Note: If you are a severely disabled Veteran and need any special accommodations, please identify that to your service officer or career counselor when making appointments.

Receive your DD 214

Things to do within one year from Separation

Have your DD 214 recorded in the County Recorder's Office for FREE
  • Safeguard all your records. You will need them again.

Visit your County Director of Veterans Affairs (normally located in the County Courthouse) or Accredited Service Organization Representative for FREE
  • Take a copy of all your records with you for your appointment: Service Medical Records; Personnel File; Dental Record,
  • Have your County Director of Veterans Affairs or Accredited Veterans Service Officer review your records and advise you on the benefits you qualify for,
  • File for disabilities through an Accredited Veterans Service Officer.

Fill out VA form 10-10 EZ for VA Healthcare benefits
  • Go to your local VAMC to turn in Form 10-10 EZ and schedule an appointment,
  • You may qualify for 5 years of FREE healthcare through the VA from your separation date.

Visit your local CareerLink Office (Pennsylvania Job Service) FREE SERVICE
  • Ask to speak with the Veterans Employment Representative,
  • File for unemployment,
  • Get help finding a job,
  • Attend classes to help in your search for employment,
  • Military skills that be used in civilian life are identified.

Visit colleges you are interested in / use the GI Bill
  • Ask to speak with the Veterans Representative on campus,
  • Always identify yourself as a Veteran and inquire about Yellow Ribbon funding in addition to GI Bill payments for college,
  • Many non-traditional programs are included in the Post 9-11 GI Bill.

When you are ready to buy a home inform your lender you are a Veteran and that you are interested in using the VA Home Loan Guaranty
  • This is as easy as informing your lender you are a Veteran and wish to use your benefit (you will need to provide a copy of your DD 214),
  • Disabled Veterans (USDVA Rating) have the funding fee waived,
  • You can include the down payment in the loan.

1 Garrison Road
Fort Indiantown Gap
Annville, PA 17003
Eligibility: You may be eligible for DMVA benefits if you are a: veteran; veteran's dependent; surviving spouse, child or parent of a deceased veteran; uniformed service member; present or former reservist or National Guard member.
Phone/FAX Numbers
  • (717) 861-8468 Main
  • (800) 547-2838 Main
  • (717) 861-8589 Fax
Email Address:
Intake Procedure: Apply for your VA benefits at your Local Regional Offices: VA regional offices can assist you with filing the appropriate VA forms.Also, to apply for a specific benefit, visit Applying for Benefits. In addition, VSO's (Veteran Service Organizations) can assist you as well by answering general questions and even petitioning on your behalf for services they believe you are qualified to receive.
Geographical Area: Pennsylvania
Helpful Tips: An Accredited Veterans Service Officer is your advocate ( FREE ) to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs and is thoroughly trained to represent you and to manage your claim for benefits. Once you have assigned a Power of Attorney (Veterans Service Officer) always visit them regarding ANY correspondence you receive from the USDVA.

Service Contact:
  • Advocacy * Veterans With Disabilities
  • Military Transition Assistance Programs
  • Social Services for Military Personnel
  • Veteran Benefits Assistance
  • Veteran Employment Programs
  • Veteran Membership Organizations
Other Services Offered At This Location:
If you represent this agency, update your listing here.
* The community resource directory information is up to date to the best of our knowledge. However, you should always call the provider to confirm this information and make an appointment. Be sure to confirm payment information with the provider, if payment is required. Pennsylvania 211 does not rate, recommend or endorse any agency. We simply provide information as a public service.
Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Exit IconPanic Button
Click here or hit the 'esc' key on your keyboard to leave this site fast.